Winners of the Sabah Tourism Awards 2015 – The Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) and Kinabalu mountain rangers were among the four recipients of the Minister’s Special Award at the 10th Sabah Tourism Awards 2015 here Saturday night, 21st November 2015.
Other recipients of the award presented by Sabah Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun were low-cost airline AirAsia and Kinabalu Mountain guides involved in the Ranau earthquake rescue operation last June.
The Sabah Tourism Awards, organised by Sabah Tourism Board and Sri Pelancongan Sabah, are being held every two years to recognise the contributions of individuals and organisations in the tourism industry. Masidi, in his speech, commended the Kinabalu mountain rangers and guides for their rescue efforts and courage during the Ranau quake, particularly senior park rangers Martin Moguring, Gregory Duanis and Mithun Jay Langgim.
“Our mountain guides and rangers are some of the bravest people in this part of the world. They were not only hardworking but able to deliver in the nick of time during the Ranau earthquake crisis,” he said. Masidi expressed gratitude to Esscom for their efforts in defending, enforcing and boosting maritime security in the east coast of Sabah to prevent terrorist activities in Malaysian waters.
He also commended AirAsia, which was named best airline at Saturday night’s event for increasing visitor arrivals to the State and developing business opportunities. “AirAsia will launch daily direct flights from Wuhan, Hubei province in China to Kota Kinabalu soon following the signing of a memorandum of understanding on establishing friendly ties between both cities in May this year,” he said.
Masidi called on the tourism sector to forge ahead with confidence in the face of challenges in the coming years and treat problems as opportunities. Another 31 winners in 12 other categories also received their award respectively.
Sabah Tourism Awards 2015 Winners;
• Best Tourism Attraction – Nature: Tabin Wildlife Resort,
• Best Tourism Attraction – Non-Nature/Man-Made: Mari-Mari Cultural Village,
• Excellence in Hotel Services – 5-Star: Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort and Spa
• Excellence in Hotel Services – 4-Star and 3-Star: Four Pints by Sheraton Sandakan
• Excellence in Hotel Services – 2-Star and Below: Best Western Sandakan
• Excellence in Hotel Services – Nature Lodges: Sepilok Nature Resort
• Excellence in Hotel Services – Homestay: Misompuru Homestay Kudat
• Excellence in Hotel Services – Dive Resort: Lankayan Island Resort Sandakan
• Best Overseas Tour Operator – Japan: HIS Travel
• Best Overseas Tour Operator – Korea: Hanatour Service
• Best Overseas Tour Operator – Hong Kong: Wing On Travel
• Best Overseas Tour Operator – Taiwan: Comfort Travel Service
• Best Overseas Tour Operator – China: Guang Dong China Women International Travel Services
• Most Improved Wholesaler: Modetour Network
• Best Inbound Tour Operator: Amazing Borneo Tours and Events
• Best Inbound Tour Package: 4D3N Stay at Luxury Villa @ Borneo Rainforest Lodge, Danum Valley
• Best MICE Agent: Borneo Trails Tours and Travel
• Best General Tour Guide: Belle Betsy Chong
• Best Specialised Tour Guide: Muhammad Salehuddin Jais
• Best Tourism Article Published Overseas: Orphaned Orang Utan Returns to The Forest – Orang Utan Nursery (Jun Kumayama)
• Best Tourism TV Programme on Sabah Produced in Malaysia: Sg Mengkabong (RTM)
• Best Tourism TV Programme on Sabah Produced Overseas: Sabah Earthquake Decoded (Discovery Channel Asia)
• Best Blog Entry on Sabah: The Mountain is The Mountain, Tomorrow is Tomorrow, Reflections on Mt Kinabalu (Lucy Piper)
• Best Tourism Article in News Portal: Why I Keep Re-visiting Sabah (David Hogan)
• Best Restaurant – Hotel/Resort: Ferdinand’s, The Magellan Sutera Harbour Resort
• Best Restaurant – Stand Alone: Party Play Lifestyle Café, Gaya Street
• Best Shopping Complex: Suria Sabah Shopping Mall
• Best Night Spot Experience: Shenanigan’s, Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
• Best Spa Experience – Hotel/Resort: The Spa, Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort and Spa
• Best Spa Experience – Stand Alone: Jari-Jari Spa, Tg Aru Plaza
• Best Airlines: Air Asia
• Minister’s Special Award – Kinabalu Park Rangers , Kinabalu Mountain Guides, Esscom, Air Asia
Malaysia Travel News would like to congratulate all the nominees and winners of this years Sabah Tourism Awards Winners. The next awards will be held in November, 2017. Article from Daily Express.